1.1 Background to the study
This introductory background is devoted to the history of ankpa local government area in kogi state.
- Statement of the Problem
In every accounting system there are some problems which need to be put into consideration some of which are.
Politicalization: This involve god fatherism where some of the god fathers dictate for these in office what to do thereby creating corruption.
Lack of comprehensive nominal roll rate and the unwillingness of the tax payers which some times results in hostilities / fighting between the qualified official most of the accounting official are semi-illiterate and lack of good preparation or lack of proper manner of approach.
Interference from central government: One of the major problem facing local government in general is undue interference in the affairs of local government council by the state or federal government. Sometimes, state and federal government delay in giving approval on project of local government.
- Objective Of The Study
This work is aimed at providing thorough approach adopted by local government particularly in Ankpa local government ensuring a proper up-dating of their accounting record.
The project is also design to achieve the following objectives.
- To identify whether Ankpa local government area have any accounting system.
- To know the actual or the accuracy of up-keeping of accounting system in Ankpa local government area
- To find out whether the accounting system and method in Ankpa local government area is in accordance with the general accepted principles.
- To verify the effectiveness or otherwise of the internal and external auditing in checking fraud and misappropriation of fund in Ankpa local government area.
1.4 Research Question
- How can we identify whether Ankpa local government have many accounting systems?
- What are the actual or the accuracy of up-keep of accounting system in Ankpa local government area.
- What are the types of accounting record maintained in Ankpa local government
- How can we find out whether the accounting system and method in Ankpa local government area is in accordance with the general accepted principles.
- How can we verify the effectiveness or otherwise of internal and external auditing in checking fraud and misappropriation in Ankpa local government area.
1.5 The Significance Of The Study
This study focuses on the key features of these research work which includes:
- To encourage public participation in government
- To provide utility service and infrastructural facilities which include good roads, electricity, clean water to mention just a
- To promote education to the higher level.
- To facilitate effective and efficient government administration
- To bring communication gap between the rural and urban area.
- To foster rapid development of the local government in particular, state and the Federal government .